The village of Stockcross lies to the west of Speen along the historic Ermin Street, which runs from Gloucester via Cirencester to Silchester (the modern day B4000). Stockcross is still very much associated with Sir Richard Sutton’s Settled Estate, 1800 hectares of mixed farming with livestock and arable crops. The population is numbered in the hundreds.
Stockcross has a brick-built church (St John’s) erected and endowed by the vicar, the Rev. H. W. Majendie in 1839. There is also a Recreation Ground and a small shop/post office/coffee shop. The village had four pubs and now only has one, the Rising Sun, which has been closed since 2017. On the edge of the village there is the Vineyard Hotel, which has a spa and restaurant. There is a small Voluntary Aided Church of England Primary School.
Stockcross has a very strong sense of community, as evidenced by the local Grapevine magazine and the Sutton Hall, which is the busy village hall, hosting regular events from jumble sales to Christmas pantos to village get-togethers.
More details about the history of Stockcross can be found at https://www.stockcrosshistory.org.uk